[Paraview] Itanium2 Rendering Problem

Kent Eschenberg eschenbe at psc.edu
Tue Dec 19 17:42:05 EST 2006

We are seeing a rendering error where some polygons just disappear at certain viewing angles.

   - ParaView 2.4.4 (compiled to use only 1 CPU)
   - Mesa 6.4.2 using "linux" configuration
   - 16 Itanium2 IA-64 1.3 GHz dual core nodes (32 CPUs total)
   - 3 Gb memory
   - Suse SLES8
   - viewing surface of data from VTK file with cell type VTK_TETRA

I used ParaView to make a short MPEG movie. As the object is rotated pieces of the top surface disappear then return. Two frames of the movie are attached. The whole movie is available via anonymous ftp at ftp.psc.edu under

   pub/outgoing/eschenbe/Mesa

The VTK file displays fine elsewhere. Built-in objects (sphere, cylinder, etc.) look fine. I also tried a half-dozen of the demos that came with Mesa and saw no problems. I cannot reproduce the problem using parallel projection.

The problem is seen with both standalone paraview and when running the server on that system with composition on (i.e., rendering via Mesa). Using the server with composition off (i.e., rendering on the client workstation using its graphics card) shows
no problems. Thus it seems like this might be a Mesa problem.

I'd be interested in any ideas or further tests. TIA!

Kent
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center