[Paraview] Paraview in Parallel-Server mode

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 12:25:11 EDT 2006

I've had a few issues with it (We're using Infiniband, so network bandwidth
should be negligible), some of which are just I incorrectly percieved what
was going on and some of which I think is a bug.

I think what I originally percieved as phenomenal slowless is actually a
bug.  I use 4x Subsampling for the interactive rendering, but when I let go
it never returns to full resolution, it seems to drop to something like 2x
subsampling.  I originally interpreted that as it's slowly rendering in the
background, but if I use no subsampling for the interactive displays then it
works just fine.  (I just ran this test a few minutes ago).

The other slowness I noticed was in the way lookmarks are handled.  I build
the lookmark with the MPI version so the decimated models were already in
memory when it came time for the "big interactive part".  When I repeated
the lookmark in IceT, I had to wait a good 30s or so for it to build the
decimated models and such.  Again, I just incorrectly percieved what was
going on.

In the no subsampling version, yes it beat the pants off MPI hands-down,
although you can't see what's happening on the remote displays quite as
well.  Is there some reason why I would be seeing noise on the other heads?
During interaction I see the top 1/3 of the screen rendered on all the
nodes, but during stills I just see noise.  It's minor, but I know someone
is gonna ask if they see it.

On 8/9/06, Wylie, Brian <bnwylie at sandia.gov> wrote:

>  Randall,
>
> Can you elaborate on the poor performance? We can get 30 frames/sec over
> 100T with IceT, I'm having a hard time believing that MPIRenderModule
> actually performs better. The only circumstance I've seen where
> MPIRenderModule outperforms IceT is when the client is like a laptop with
> really slow pixel scaling. Can you give me details of your setup... cluster
> specs... network specs... client specs...
>
> Also I'm assuming that your compositing threshold is 0MB in both tests,
> and subsampling is set to the same value, squirt compression is the same,
> etc...
>

>   Brian Wylie - Org 1424
>   Sandia National Laboratories
>   MS 0822 - Building 880/A1-J