[Paraview] Extracting Mac binary files

Joe Koski jkoski11 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 11:51:22 EDT 2006

OK, the README says 'Extract the file "paraview-2.4.3-darwin-files.tar" into
your destination directory (typically /usr/local)'. I have now successfully
installed Paraview binaries twice (2.4.2 and 2.4.3) on my Mac G5 with OS X
10.3.9, but resorted to making my own "installer" which included /usr/local
directories so I could extract into -C /.

When I try

  sudo tar -xvf paraview-2.4.3-darwin.tar -C /usr/local

I end up with a copies of paraview-2.4.3-darwin.tar and README in
/usr/local. If I construct and tar a folder with empty usr and local
directories, then the install with

  sudo tar -xvf paraview-install.tar -C /

works correctly.

What is the correct UNIX bash incantation to install Paraview directly from
the distribution binaries with a "one liner" command? Is it the README file
that's killing things? Maybe if I eliminate the README file the first
command will work? An example of the installation command (for the default
bash shell) in the README would be of assistance.

Incidentally, my 2.4.3 installation is working well. Thanks for an excellent
product.

Joe