[Paraview] Running Paraview on an SMP machine

David Farrell d-farrell2 at northwestern.edu
Sat Sep 3 11:38:15 EDT 2005

Hi - I am new to the use of parallel visualization, and wanted to
check it out a bit. I have several questions about using Paraview on
an SMP (dual proc or otherwise) machine:

- When starting paraview in parallel - is the typical usage to start
in client-server (so pvclient and pvrenderserver) mode with a
multiprocess server or to start in distributed stand-alone mode
(paraview)? Are there particular reasons to choose one over the other?

- The older online docs mention that if several processes share a
display, the render windows may overlap and the resulting image may
be corrupt. what is the typical way around this?

-  In goofing around, I tried adding the --use-offscreen-rendering
flag to pvrenderserver, but still render windows appeared for the
processes. Is this a sign that I don't have mesa installed or set up
properly?

- In order to take advantage of the parallel rendering - would I need
to feed decomposed data files into the program, or does it handle
this internally? Also - Other than checking speedup in rendering, how
can one check that the rendering is actually being done in parallel
vs. duplicated on each process?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

David E. Farrell