[Paraview] Problem when loading many time steps...

Renato N. Elias rnelias at nacad.ufrj.br
Sun Oct 16 09:33:00 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I've been struggling with Paraview to build an animation for a model with
446,662 tetrahedra, 81,991 nodes, and 1000 time steps. My data is
partitioned in 4 MPI partitions but I'm post-processing data in serial mode
filters in order to join my partitions (I've been doing that because the
server-of-server file has not been working as I expected). Each partitioned
file is stored in Ensight cases (Fortran binary and Ensight standard - not
Gold).

My problem begins to occur when I try to load these case files. It seems
that Paraview tries to load the result file for each time step before
producing the initial image and this operation takes too much time when the
computer does not freeze. I think that Paraview should load the geometry and
the first (or the last) time step in order to produce an initial image and
leave to load the corresponding file for each time step only when we are
building animated images. Anyway, if anybody could help me with some tip
I'll be very thankful.

Regards

ps.: The related problem has been occuring in a Dell Precision workstation
(P4 3.6 GHz, 4 GB of memory and video card Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 and OS
Windows XP/SP2).

Renato N. Elias
High Performance Computing Center
NACAD/COPPE/UFRJ