[Paraview] paraview vs mayavi

Gerard Gorman g.gorman at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 13:27:10 EDT 2005

This discussion could go on for quite a while...
Largely it depends on your needs. I would say MayaVi is:
- easy to use
- easy to get nice visualizations that look good
- easy to modify/extend
- easy to script
but - it is serial and is written in a python (though the modules that
do the real work are still c++) rather than a compiled language. This
does give problems for large datasets.
Paraview of the other hand has a more sophisticated user interface and
requires greater investment if modifications are required. However the
most outstanding feature of paraview if that it has parallel support.
This is very often the difference between being able to visualize your
data and not.

But - the learning curve for either one is not so great so the best
thing to do really is try both and see which suites your needs best.
Personally I use both.

Cheers