[Paraview] General X window issue when running paraview server

Wylie, Brian bnwylie at sandia.gov
Fri May 13 11:11:17 EDT 2005

All,

There is a general issue about how X windows get opened when running
pvserver on a PC cluster. Normally X windows will not allow an x window
to be opened if you are not 'logged into the display (console)'. So if I
set my DISPLAY to :0.0 and I run an mpi job that simply launches
'xclock' on 4 different nodes. I will generally get some sort of X error
like... "bad X server connection" or whatever.

This is because the X server is not allowing an X window to be opened
from someone who is not 'on the console'. This is the normal behavior of
an X server. You have to 'bypass' the security feature in order to open
an X window. How you do this is an 'advanced' topic and hopefully you
have a cluster administrator that can help you out with this.

If you do not have an administrator that can do this for you, then let
me know and I can get our cluster guy to give me a list of the
configuration changes made to the X server to allow windows to be opened
by folks not on the console.

Also, do not under any circumstances have your DISPLAY variable set to
anything other than localhost:0.0 (or equiv) when running pvserver. If
you set your DISPLAY variable to any other machine besides localhost you
have completely crippled pvserver. ParaView will have to send X traffic
from one node to another and the whole purpose behind the system design
will be completely bypassed and your performance will probably be 100x
slower.

Brian Wylie - Org 9227
Sandia National Laboratories
MS 0822 - Building 880/A1-J