[Paraview] Reading and Displaying Stress and Strain in PV

SamuelKey samuelkey at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 23:23:44 EST 2005

Giuseppe,

Everything you want to do (and more) to display
finite element structural analysis results is available
in ParaView.

The trick is to get your finite element method
software to write nodal(point) data and element(cell)
data to a file in a form that ParaView can read.

Try looking at http://www.vtk.org/pdf/file-formats.pdf

I have attached a Fortran-95 subroutine that writes
vtk xml-formatted files that ParaView reads. It might
be a little more complex than what you need since
I use ParaView's parallel read capability to read
individual files for each material in the mesh.

Sam