[Paraview] Gouraud, parallel files

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 09:09:22 EST 2005

> I made the observation, that Gouraud shading is always working for spheres.
> But for iso-planes it is only working on some machines. Should I look closer
> why it is working only sometimes, or is it a known problem?

This is known. And it is really not a problem but a feature :-) The
patented algorithms that computes the isosurfaces for structured
datasets can also compute normals. If use any other algorithm or input
type, no normals will be generated during isosurface computation. To
get smooth shading, you have to apply the normals generation filter to
the isosurface.

> Reading in a PVTI containing e.g. 32 pieces with 16 processors only gives me
> half of the data. Reading it in with either 32 or 1 processor(s) works
> correct? Is this known?

This is a known problem and I believe is in our list of things to fix.

-Berk