[Paraview] writeing vts files

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 13:34:59 EST 2005

> The numerous documents I purchased from Kitware describe visualization
> of petabyte data sets as a goal for Paraview. My goals are large, but
> a couple of orders of magnitude less ambitious. An efficient approach
> appears to employ the use of memory mapped image files in a 64-bit
> environment. My current machine had 16GB of ram, and could be extended
> to 32GB. Then the fabrication of IO data sets would not be a concern
> to the user. He would just make a huge HDF5 structure and the system
> would access the set of components directed by him. Is this type of
> approach consistent with your broad objectives?

I'd say the best approach is to write an HDF5 reader that understands
time, can provide information about what time steps are available and
allows the user to set the time step(s) to load. It can also do smart
things, such as not duplicating the geometry if it stays same over
time. Once such a reader exists, it would be very easy to incorporate
it into ParaView. There is already a simple HDF5 reader in ParaVIew.
This can be used as a starting point.