[Paraview] Paraview crashing after tetrahedralizing mesh for volume visualization - bus error on IRIX 6.5 and latest stable ParaView

Gage, Kenneth gagekl at upmc.edu
Sat Aug 13 21:09:27 EDT 2005

Dear Listers -

I've been trying to visualize a relatively large (1.4 million), unstructured, mixed cell grid (tets, pyramids, and hexs) in ParaView.  When attempting volume visualization, the UI reports that vtkDatasetTriangleFilter is called and executed on the dataset.  However, errors are then reported as follows:
ErrorMessage
# Error or warning: There was a VTK Error in file: /opt/ParaView/VTK/VolumeRendering/vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper.cxx (239)
 Encountered non-tetrahedra cell!
ErrorMessage end

and then ParaView dies with a bus error.

Do others experience this problem as well?  After reading the docs it sounds like the triangulation / tetrahedralization filters could be affected by grid quality (i.e., large aspect ratio cells) and I was wondering how I could check to see if this was indeed my problem and how I might be able to circumvent it - perhaps call a different algorithm?.  As always, your comments / suggestions are most welcome.

Kenneth Gage
MD-PhD Student
McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine
University of Pittsburgh
228 MCGOWN
3025 East Carson Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203-2155