[Paraview] lookmarks and winXP troubles

Stephens, Mike ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor Mike.Stephens at erdc.usace.army.mil
Thu Aug 11 17:14:04 EDT 2005

gentle para-people,

thanks to berk is found what was killing a recent (last week and today's) cvs
paraview build to die

right out of the gate on my WinXP machine. it was the lookmark stuff.

see http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview/2005-July/001757.html

this is still a problem for me (and perhaps other para-heads  -- with
apologies to jimmy buffet fans)

the reason seems to be a collision between our security policy and the
assumptions the lookmark

developers have made.  I can build and use today's cvs just fine at home
where I have admin priviledges;

and our draconian security policies aren't strictly adhered to;

but the security policy at work does not allow me ( a generic, non-admin
user)  to write files on say c:\

I tracked down the offending stuff and exorcised it so paraview will fire up
and run;

but that sucks (because I'm lazy) and I will have to do this every time I
checkout

a new cvs version.

perhaps the developers could put a chunk of code that checks for some
environment variable

PARAVIEW_LOOKMARKS and if it's present do stuff there; if it's not do what it
current does.

-m