[Paraview] MIPSPro 7.4.2m build failing in vtkTimerLog.cxx with va_list undefined

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Apr 22 09:15:38 EDT 2005

Gage, Kenneth wrote:
> I'm attempting to build ParaView on an Octane2 with the MIPSPro compilers version 7.4.2m.  The build is failing in vtkTimerLog.cxx with the following errors:
> --------------------------
> cc-1020 CC: ERROR File = /usr/local/VTK/Common/vtkTimerLog.cxx, Line = 137
>   The identifier "va_list" is undefined.
>
>     va_list var_args;
>     ^

We've recently encountered this problem too and are working on a fix.
This is the result of a bug in the system headers for that compiler.
The internal/stdio_core.h header defines va_list in the std:: namespace
and then defines a macro that prevents stdarg.h from later defining it
in the global namespace.  I've found a work-around which I plan to
commit soon but needs more testing first.

-Brad