[Paraview] Re: Documentation for Paraview Distributed Options?

Jeremy Stout stout.jeremy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 10:14:16 EDT 2004

After doing a lot of experimentation yesterday, I believe I found the
commands I need to use, but have come across a new problem (see
below). Let's say I want to run the client and server on COMPUTER1 and
the render server on COMPUTER2. I think I need to use the following:

COMPUTER2:
paraview --render-server

COMPUTER1:
paraview --server
paraview --client-render-server --render-server-host=COMPUTER2 --host=localhost

The problem with this arrangement is that the render-server on
COMPUTER2 thinks the server is running on COMPUTER2 and waits for a
connection from it. Also, it seems that the server program is looking
for the render server program locally. Needless to say, that doesn't
work and I get the following error message from the server program:

Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
/usr/local/packages/paraview-1.6.1/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx,
line 453
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x9737b78): Can not connect to localhost on port 32850

In case it helps, here is the output from each of the programs:

[stout at COMPUTER2 stout]$ paraview --render-server
Listen on port: 22221
RenderServer: Waiting for client...
connected to port 22221
Client connected.
open with port 0
WaitForConnection: id :0  Port:32850

[stout at COMPUTER1 stout]$ paraview --server
Listen on port: 11111
Waiting for client...
connected to port 11111
Client connected.
Connect: id :0  host: localhost  Port:32850
Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
/usr/local/packages/paraview-1.6.1/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx,
line 453
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x9737b78): Can not connect to localhost on port 32850

Process id: 0 >> ERROR: In
/usr/local/packages/paraview-1.6.1/VTK/Parallel/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx,
line 536
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x9737b78): Could not send tag.

(repeat the error message ad nauseum)

[stout at COMPUTER1 stout]$ paraview --client-render-server
--render-server-host=COMPUTER2 --render-port=22221 --host=localhost
Connect to localhost:11111
Connect to node27:22221

What do I need to do in order to get the server and render server to
connect to one another? I've tried lots of different combinations of
commands without any success.

Jeremy Stout