[Paraview] Probe just made a little bit easier

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Fri, 14 May 2004 10:51:03 +0200

Someone recently made suggestions for improvements of the Probe filter
in his wish-list. I also checked bug #492, and paraView 1.4 does not
quite answer these problems.

The biggest pain, is that Probe plots *all* variables and auto-scaling
can make it impossible to look at your data in range [0-1] when you have
another field in range [1e6-1e9].

To overcome this, I wrote a converter which takes as input the
XMLPolyData file saved when selecting the Probe filter in "Line mode"
and using "save data". The data is saved in binary with no option to
switch to ASCII, so that is also hard on my eyesight.

My converter reads the XML PolyData and outputs ASCII data fit for Grace
in NXY format. It also creates the small parameter file for the legend
of each sets. I use Grace-5.1.14.

Take the RectGrid2.vtk example file, do a line probe, save the data.
The converters creates the following parameter file:

title "Title"
subtitle "Title"
s0 legend "scalars"
s1 legend "vectors_0"
s2 legend "vectors_1"
s3 legend "vectors_2"

and saves your data in Grace NXY format. You don't have to be an expert
user of Grace (I started 2 hours ago) to learn to turn each plot on/off,
and make nice-looking graphs.

I thought the converter would be useful to the ParaView community. It is
available in source code, with the accompanying CmakeList.txt.

Drop me a note if you are interested. The code is 2 hours old, I am sure
other users can contribute their 2cents to help improve it.

Jean

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre  at  cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/about/Favre.php