[Paraview] Parallel ParaView- file formats and Chromium

Joel Welling welling at stat.cmu.edu
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:20:27 -0500

Hi folks;
  We are coming up to speed on running ParaView in parallel under MPI, and I
have a few questions.

1) Can someone send an example of an XML file which will cause ParaView to
read data in parallel across several processors?  For example, if I have 4
blocks of data and 4 PEs, I gather I need to produce a .pvd or .pvti file from
my 4 individual .vti files.  The only example I can find contains a reference
to only 1 .vti file and my attempts to generalize it seem to be failing.

2) The documentation (1.2.1) stresses that if the DISPLAY environment variable
is set for all processes, the several workers will all open windows on the
display, causing problems for the rank 0 worker that is supposed to be
handling the UI.  Experimentally this doesn't seem to happen- I only get one
window.  Has the problem with multiple access to the DISPLAY been fixed?

3) The default configuration seems to be for each worker to use Mesa to do its
own rendering (presumably off-screen), and then to read back the image.  The
images are then composited by ParaView itself.  We'd like to use Chromium, and
to let Chromium do the compositing.  I *guess* all that's really needed is to
keep ParaView from trying to do the compositing.  How does one set this up?

Thanks, I hope;
-Joel
 welling at psc.edu