[Paraview] optional display at load time

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:00:32 +0100

I have many models composed of multiple outputs:
	a) 3D cells which I never want to display
	b) 2D cells which are the boundary parts of the model

The boundary parts are all the external parts (or specific boundary
conditions) of the model and as such are most often interesting to display.

The volumetric parts (3D cells) are only used in cutting, contouring,
streamlines, etc. and should not be displayed. However, when read in
ParaView, they are automatically passed thru vtkPVGeometryFilter (or
vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter). I am not sure which one and when actually. In
any case, this can be a very expensive computation (I am talking here of
volumetric models of 1-100 millions cells) and it is a complete waste of
resources since the external faces extracted are redundant with the
already present 2D bondary cells.

My reader create in the order of a few hundreds of outputs, each with a
well-defined name. Using Extract Parts, I can easily select my 2D cells
for display.

When programming directly in C++ or via the wrapping languages
interfaces, I can skip the extraction of external surfaces of the 3D
cells. Can the same be done in ParaView? What I would like is a default
of "no display, thus no extraction at all".

Since ParaView is an application "designed with the need to visualize
large data sets in mind", it seems like this should be available.

Any hints?
TIA

--
Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre  at  cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/people/Favre.html