[Paraview] render module interface documentation

Charles Law charles.law at kitware.com
Tue Jul 6 12:23:39 EDT 2004

Doug,

I am right in the middle of writing documentation for ParaView render
modules.  For the moment, the best advice I can give you is to look at the
"Cave" render module.  It is relatively straight forward
implementation.  Also,  the top level VTKRenderModule class implements a
very simple (single process) module that has no levels of details.

The basic objects are:
vtkCaveRenderManager:  This is a VTK class that synchronizes the lights,
and cameras in all of the processes.  This class also handles compositing
(but compositing is not needed for the cave module).

vtkPVCaveRenderModule:  This object has methods for creating the render
windows, renders and managers on all appropriate processes.  It also has
the main render method and makes global LOD decisions.

vtkPVCaveRenderModuleUI:  This object creates any special user interface
for controlling parameters for the specific render module.  As currently
implemented, this class must exist, even if it implements nothing.  The
name pattern much match the render module object.

vtkPVPartDisplay:  This object handles creating all of the VTK objects that
are necessary for rendering a VTK data object.  This includes decimation
filters for creating LODs, geometry filters for creating a polydata
representation, and re partitioning filters for moving rendering geometry
around to different processes (used when switching between compositing and
local rendering on the client).  The render module acts like an object
factory and creates subclasses of this object as necessary.

What exactly are you going implement in your new module?

Charles.