[Paraview] cmake is making bad decisions on our compiler

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 9 17:57:11 EDT 2004

Joel Welling wrote:
> Hi folks;
>   We're trying to compile ParaView on our Compaq Alpha Tru64 platform using
> Compaq's cxx and cc compilers rather than GNU, and I've noticed that the cmake
> process seems to be making some incorrect inferences.  So far, I have found
> that it is incorrectly setting VTK_OSTREAM_SUPPORTS_LONG_LONG and
> VTK_ISTREAM_SUPPORTS_LONG_LONG to false, even though the tests in HDF5Tests.c
> seem to produce the correct result.  Also, H5_HAVE_ATTRIBUTE in H5pubconf.h is
> being inappropriately set to 1, even though the test for that in HDF5Tests.c
> seems to fail appropriately.

Look at the test results reported in CMakeError.log and CMakeOutput.log
at the top of the build tree.  One of those files should have the output
from the try-compile used to check for long long support in the streams.
  The content of the output should tell you why the wrong result is
being determined.

>   Is there any way I can debug this further?  I hate to just modify the
> created .h files and carry on, knowing they will be overwritten with incorrect
> values the next time I run cmake.

The generated build system automatically re-runs CMake when files are
modified in order to rebuild dependencies.  This will also cause the .h
to be overwritten.

 > Is there any test I can perform on cmake to
> verify that *it* has built correctly on this machine?

If you are building CMake yourself then you can just go to the build
tree and run "bin/ctest" or "make test" to run its tests.

-Brad