[Paraview] paraview in client/server mode

Joseph Insley insley at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 6 15:03:48 EDT 2004

Hello all,

My apologies if this question has been previously asked and answered.
I did a brief search of the archive of the mailing list, but didn't find
anything.

I have been able to successfully run ParaView in client/server mode,
starting the server on a set of linux nodes, and connecting to it via a
client running from a remote desktop machine.  In my experience, once a
client connects to the server, the server will exit when the client
disconnects.  My question is, is there any way to change this behavior?
What I would like to be able to do is run ParaView as a service.  That is,
start up ParaView in server mode, allow a client to connect to it.  When
that client is done using the server for whatever computation/rendering it
needs, allow the client to disconnect, but keep the server running.  I
would then like to be able to connect to that same server from a different
client, running on a different desktop.  The two client sessions would be
completely independant of each other.  Is there currently a way to invoke
this type of behavior in the server?

thanks for your help,
joe.

joseph a. insley				insley at mcs.anl.gov
mathematics & computer science division		(630) 252-5649
argonne national laboratory                     (630) 252-5986 (fax)
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~insley