[Paraview] Merging VTK Files

Charles Law charles.law@kitware.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:59:54 -0500

Alex,

I assume (Berk's question) that each sub domain is a separate spatial
partition and each file has the same arrays (different geometry).

I do not know what type of data you are handling (unstructured grid,
structured grid ...)

Here are your options:

1:  Use VTK to append all the datasets into one big file.
         vtkAppendFilter will create a single output (unstructured grid).
         vtkAppendPolyData is the same but takes polydata input and
produces polydata output.

2: Make a pvtk (extension .pvtk) XML file that looks like this:

<File version="pvtk-1.0"
       dataType="vtkUnstructuredGrid"
       numberOfPieces="2" >
   <Piece fileName="ghost.0.vtk" />
   <Piece fileName="ghost.1.vtk" />
</File>

This file groups the subfiles so ParaView reads them as one.  This XML file
is a little more complicated for structured data sets, but not much.

In the near future, ParaView (1.0) will be able to append datasets from the
user interface.

Charles.