[Paraview-developers] FW: [EXTERNAL] Re: ParaView | Memory consumption on Paraview (#18035)

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Mon Mar 19 16:01:51 EDT 2018

Boonthanome,
Moving this to the developers list.

Kitware – looking at the memory usage below, a few questions:

  *   Why does merge blocks grow so much?  Why can’t this filter just do shallow copies?  Is this impossible, or just not implemented?
  *   Why can’t Merge Blocks do shallow copies?  Is this impossible, or just not implemented?
  *   (I think I know this one, but here it is).  Why does the ghost cell generator bloat memory so much?  Can’t you just use shallow copies of the primary data, and then add the ghost cells?
  *   Why can’t we have the cell data to point data filter be smart enough to add ghost cells if necessary for calculations, then throw them away?
  *   Any other ideas how to decrease the bloat of about 4 GB of data to be about 18 GB of data?

Thanks team,

Alan