[Paraview-developers] Adding a fmtlib to ParaView/VTK

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Mar 19 11:45:09 EDT 2018

Folks,

I was reviewing MR [1] which got me thinking that we have no standard
rules for formatting strings. It would be great it there was uniform
mechanism that we can train users on to build strings from fields or
numbers which ability to specify precision etc.

I've seen fmtlib [2] used before and given that it's formatting syntax
is similar to that available in Python, it may be a good choice to
adopt.

I am thinking all places were we convert numbers to labels e.g.
Annotation Time filter/source, Chart titles, Python Annotation filter,
etc. can support such format strings.

Thoughts?

Utkarsh

[1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/merge_requests/2323