[Paraview-developers] GLXBadContext and other GLEW errors

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Mon Mar 5 08:00:50 EST 2018

Dear Developers

I am testing the Release candidate 5.5 on compute nodes, using a VNC desktop.

ParaView is compiled with the native NVIDIA driver , the default VTK_USE_X=ON, and VTK_USE_SYSTEM_GLEW=OFF

./bin/paraview works fine and the Help reports the correct NVIDIA driver.

I have problems with

./bin/vtkProbeOpenGLVersion which crashes with message:

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)

and I have other python code which when run with

./bin/vtkpython crash on errors

vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x160e7b0): GLEW could not be initialized.

So, based on the fact that my ./bin/paraview is able to run and go past the hurdles of GLEW and other GLX issues, I feel like it also ought to be possible to run vtkProbeGLVersion without crashing. And that might fix my other GLW issue as well.

Any hints?