[Paraview-developers] Resolve (paraview) dependencies of plugin

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu Mar 1 08:23:04 EST 2018

On Thu, Mar 01, 2018 at 11:05:56 +0100, hermann.detz at gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you for helping!
>
> I did clear the RPATH field in the .so using chrpath to then be able to
> use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable. ldd then does find all dependencies
> of the plugin.

This looks like Linux now, not macOS :) . Here, ParaView will set up
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to its .

> However, when I run paraview and load the plugin, I get the following
> SIGSEGV:
>
> Thread 1 "paraview" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> __strlen_avx2 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strlen-avx2.S:62
> 62	../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/strlen-avx2.S: No such file or
> directory.
>
> The same .so file works on the machine, where I developed the plugin.
> In fact, it works for both, the paraview binaries from the webpage and
> for a version, I compiled by myself. But it does not work on another
> machine. Both computers are running Linux 17.10 64 bit and are fully
> updated.

A backtrace would help. All the SIGSEGV tells me is that `strlen(NULL)`
is happening…somewhere :) . What happens with `paraview -dr` (which
ignores local settings and uses a blank slate)?

> Any good idea, how to debug this? Am I missing something like the
> static libc linkings?

Statically linking libc isn't going to work either. That's generally
used in single-binary deployments…and those don't really support plugins
:) .

--Ben