[Paraview-developers] Accessing attributes in VTK geometric objects

rclaveria rclaveria at dim.uchile.cl
Fri Jun 15 11:34:20 EDT 2018

Hello,

I need to access and modify the data attributes of VTK geometric objects
(e.g., an unstructured grid) from the code. For example, I'd like to
write algorithm to assign a pressure or temperature value to each cell
(or point) of my mesh according to a certain physical model. However, I
haven't found code examples where data attributes are set, accessed or
modified using C++ or python code. So far, I've relied on external code
(python's FEniCS library, to be precise) to generate meshes, run
simulations and set attributes, saving the output in a format readable
by ParaView (.vtk extension with the flag UNSTRUCTURED_GRID).

I'd be grateful to receive guidelines on how to set the attributes of a
mesh using the VTK library.

Thanks