[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Lets rename Layout?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Jan 8 15:48:07 EST 2018

My 2 cents:

If we want to quickly resolve the ambiguity between render view
layouts and window layouts, how about we rename "Window Layout" to
"Window Arrangement"? That would be simpler from an implementation
perspective, and would solve the immediate confusion in the overloaded
term "layout".

I agree that "Layout" is not the greatest noun for a particular layout
of render windows. However, Layout is deeply embedded in the source
code, including Python traces (see paraview.simple functions
GetLayout(), CreateLayout(), GetViewsInLayout(), etc.). If we renamed
render view layouts to "canvases" or some other term, I would like to
make the corresponding change in the source code as well.This isn't
too hard, but requires taking steps to ensure backwards compatibility,
update tests, and so on.... it's a little bigger fish to fry.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Cory

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Scott, W Alan <wascott at sandia.gov> wrote: