[Paraview-developers] Lights

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Wed Oct 11 14:24:33 EDT 2017

Dave Karelitz was showing me the can in ParaView, and I wonder if our lights model is incorrect.  Here is how to replicate:

  *   Open can.exo.  Apply.  Last frame.  Color by Solid Color.  Reset.
  *   Now, rotate the can.

What you will notice is that the lights are not attached to the scene (i.e., stationary), but attached to the camera (i.e., moving).  This is really obvious if you turn on OSPRay and shadows.

Isn't this wrong?  The data should remain stationary, the lights (other than a headlight) should stay stationary, and the camera should move around the scene?

Alan

W. Alan Scott
ParaView Support Manager

SAIC
Sandia National Laboratories, MS 0807
Org 9326 - Building 880 A1-K
(505) 284-0932   FAX (505) 284-5619

The most exciting phrase to hear in science
is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  -- Isaac Asimov