[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Using "fusion" style on OsX by default

Chiranjib Sur sur.chiranjib at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 14:16:34 EDT 2017

My few cents (replied inlined)

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 2:24 AM, Utkarsh Ayachit <
utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:

> I think  I am going to defer to people who use ParaView on Mac (looking at
> you, Cory :) ) to investigate ways of making the UI look cleaner. Some of
> my misgivings with Qt-macOS style are:
>
> 1. too much padding (look at the vertical gap here)
>
> [image: Inline image 1]   v/s  [image: Inline image 2]

The "lesser" vertical padding is welcome from a user's perspective if they
belong to the same group of data. In this example, the "search box" and the
"Property panel" are not grouped together in any sense. In this case,
"larger vertical padding" is more user friendly (and also as per the
usability standards)

> 2. misaligned buttons (just look at the padding around buttons like "X
> Normal, Camera Normal"
>
> [image: Inline image 3]   v/s [image: Inline image 4]

The vertical alignment of the texts and the buttons are not proper. The
right hand side snapshot (Fusion type) is therefore aesthetically pleasing
and follows the standard usability guideline.

> Maybe there are things we can do that are less dramatic than changing the
> default style to clean these up.
>
> > I think we should consult with the ParaView users mailing list to get
> > more user feedback, not just developer feedback.
>
> I think we should not do this too soon. It's the whole bike-shed thing --
> everyone will have an opinion on this; we need to make sure we don't open a
> can of worms that we cannot close :).
>
> Utkarsh

In general the icons used in PV are 3D type with shades. The buttons in
fusion type also has the 3D effect. Therefore, in my opinion, they goes
better with the icon styles.

I vote for fusion type GUI for Mac.

Thanks,
Chiranjib