[Paraview-developers] Control paraview interactively using IDLE?

Amine Aboufirass amine.aboufirass at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 02:02:52 EDT 2017

I am trying to control Paraview interactively using IDLE. This would
involve sending commands from IDLE and seeing the changes occur in
Paraview. I would rather not use the in-Paraview python shell.

So far, I have succeeded in importing the Paraview modules (simple,
servermanager…etc) from IDLE. However the commands sent do not reflect in
Paraview. For instance:

>>> from paraview.simple import *>>> cone = Cone()>>> Show()>>> Render()

does indeed create a cone. However the cone is output to a new, independent
OpenGL window, and not the Paraview GUI.

Is it possible to control Paraview interactively using IDLE? If so how to
accomplish this? Thanks