[Paraview-developers] Python programmable source acting as filereader

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue Jan 24 11:15:13 EST 2017

Daan,

I didn't notice this earlier, but you're using a vtkProgrammableFilter
together with a vtkFileSeriesReader. That, I am afraid is not current
supported. You're better off adding support to reading the multiple files
to your Programamble Source itself. The ParaView guide does provide an
example for a reading a file series of csv files as a time series (Section
13.2.2). That should give you pointers to update your Python script. Let me
know if you need additional pointers.

Utkarsh

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Daan van Vugt <daanvanvugt at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Utkarsh,
>
> When I do that I get a segfault, with the following backtrace:

> Process id 7407 Caught SIGSEGV at 0x0 address not mapped to object
> Program Stack:
> WARNING: The stack trace will not use advanced capabilities because this
> is a release build.
> 0x7f27d2933080 : ??? [(???) ???:-1]
> 0x7f27d242a536 : vtkProgrammableFilter::RequestData(vtkInformation*,
> vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) [(libvtkFiltersProgrammable-pv5.2.so.1)
> ???:-1]
> 0x7f27d26f7880 : vtkPythonProgrammableFilter::
> ProcessRequest(vtkInformation*, vtkInformationVector**,
> vtkInformationVector*) [(libvtkPVClientServerCoreCore-pv5.2.so.1) ???:-1]
> 0x7f27c93e3e1b : vtkFileSeriesReader::RequestData(vtkInformation*,
> vtkInformationVector**, vtkInformationVector*) [(
> libvtkPVVTKExtensionsDefault-pv5.2.so.1) ???:-1]
>
> (this occurs before any of my python code has been executed)
>
> Thanks,
> Daan
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit <
> utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> Daan,
>>
>> Can you try changing the `si_class` attribute in the XML for the proxy to
>> be `vtkSIMetaReaderProxy`? I suspect the classname was changed at some
>> point. If that works, I can update the Wiki.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Utkarsh
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Daan van Vugt <daanvanvugt at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to create a plugin that uses h5py and numpy to read a file,
>>> do some operations on it and return VTK objects.
>>> Would it be possible to do the same thing as
>>> http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_serie
>>> s#Making_custom_readers_work_with_file_series
>>> but instead of using a vtkPDataSetReader use a
>>> vtkPythonProgrammableSource?
>>>
>>> I have made a (very naive) try, attached to this post.
>>> When using this to read a series of files I get the errors (version
>>> 5.2.0 64-bit) shown below.
>>> To test, just use any hdf5 file. (.h5)
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>> Daan
>>>

>>> ERROR: In /home/buildslave/dashboards/buildbot/paraview-pvbinsdash-lin
>>> ux-shared-release_opengl2_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/Par
>>> aViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVSessionCore.cxx, line 439
>>> vtkPVSessionCore (0x100da30): Failed to instantiate
>>> vtkSIFileSeriesReaderProxy
>>>

>>> global_id: 4875
>>> location: 2
>>> [paraview_protobuf.DefinitionHeader.client_class]: "vtkSMSourceProxy"
>>> [paraview_protobuf.DefinitionHeader.server_class]:
>>> "vtkSIFileSeriesReaderProxy"
>>> [paraview_protobuf.ProxyState.xml_group]: "sources"
>>> [paraview_protobuf.ProxyState.xml_name]: "JorekReadH5"
>>> [paraview_protobuf.ProxyState.subproxy] {
>>>   name: "Reader"
>>>   global_id: 4864
>>> }
>>> ERROR: In /home/buildslave/dashboards/buildbot/paraview-pvbinsdash-lin
>>> ux-shared-release_opengl2_qt4_superbuild/source-paraview/Par
>>> aViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVSessionCore.cxx, line 794