[Paraview-developers] State Models, Data Models in ParaViewWeb

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Mon Feb 6 10:50:09 EST 2017

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your questions on ParaViewWeb:

1) The ParaViewWeb diagram expect specific providers and data structure.
But the providers are built in a way that you can have some freedom
regarding the data retrieval implementation. Since those diagram expect
specific format, you can either compute them directly that way on the
server side or it could be your glue code that would be responsible for
doing the data conversion while ensuring a lower bandwidth usage if you
have more compact representation of the same information.
Usually we gather several providers into a single object using the
CompositeClosureHelper.newInstance within the closure. But depending on
your needs you may find other usage easier to manage.

2) Yes they are, but that does not mean you can not rely on ParaView to
build some of those data structures and rely on the WebSocket connection
between the JavaScript client and the ParaView server to feed those
providers.

3) The QueryDataModel infrastructure is a bit different but could be
used/adapted to work with some of the diagram/viewers. The QueryDataModel
is meant to issue GET request based on a specific URL pattern. It is true
that you could put a custom web server which could perform the computation
dynamically based on the request. But so far we've only used it to retrieve
static data of various type (See ArcticViewer:
https://kitware.github.io/arctic-viewer/). But a QueryDataModel could be
used to feed some of the providers.
Regarding tonic.io, we've migrated all the code from tonic.* into
ParaViewWeb to simplify access, usage and documentation.

4) I think the LineChartViewer was intended to be used as a component (a
piece in something bigger) while the ChartViewer use the AbstractViewerMenu
component to make it a first citizen in the ArcticViewer deployment. Also
ChartViewer expect a chartBuilder which will then be used by the
PlotlyRenderer for performing the rendering of the data, while the other
one is performing the rendering internally using the canvas API. So yes,
they are not meant for the same usage. But if you are looking for a library
for making charts you can give a look at https://github.com/Kitware/candela

Hope that answer most of your questions,

Seb