[Paraview-developers] Weird quirk in the Exodus reader in Python

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Fri Aug 18 18:38:42 EDT 2017

>From a user.  Is this a bug or feature?  Should it be written up?  Note that when User talks about updates, pre-update was TOSS II, post update is TOSS III.  (TOSS is the OS for our clusters).

Hi Alan,

I figured you might want to know what the fix to my issues is.

When loading a partitioned exodus (.e) file (ex. Simulation.e.5.0, Simulation.e.5.1, Simulation.e.5.2 etc. etc.) the array that you load via ExodusIIReader must be sorted. This was not a requirement in previous Paraview versions, hence why my python script stopped working in newer versions.

For example, if you have a partitioned exodus file which is in an unsorted list as follows:

file_list = ['simulation.e.5.1', 'simulation.e.5.4', 'simulation.e.5.2', 'simulation.e.5.0', 'simulation.e.5.3']

Then the following command will work as intended in Paraview 5.1.2 (on pre-update systems like Chama):

exo = ExodusIIReader(FileName = file_list)

If you try the above command on 5.4.0 or 5.1.2 on a post-updated system (like Skybridge), it doesn't work (no blocks show) and you get the following error message when trying to use the ColorBy command:

Warning: In /projects/viz/paraview/src/ParaView/5.4.0-sb/ParaView5/ParaViewCore/ServerManager/Rendering/vtkSMPVRepresentationProxy.cxx, line 276 vtkSMPVRepresentationProxy (0x4d8f0f0): Could not determine array range.

If you instead use the following command:

exo = ExodusIIReader(FileName = sorted(file_list))

There are no issues. Perhaps you're already aware of this quirk, but I thought I'd let you know just in case.

W. Alan Scott
ParaView Support Manager

SAIC
Sandia National Laboratories, MS 0807
Org 9326 - Building 880 A1-K
(505) 284-0932   FAX (505) 284-5619

The most exciting phrase to hear in science
is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  -- Isaac Asimov