[Paraview-developers] Announce: vtkPythonClassAlgorithm

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Aug 14 22:42:00 EDT 2017

Bob,

> Would there be an interest in integrating this with ParaView once it has reached a certain maturity?

Surely. There's value to such a capability, no doubt.

> I also think that a vanilla vtkPythonAlgorithm can not meet all the needs of this feature. In my case I need for example to override processRequest on the C++ level in order to reload the module on a new request (and ideally only when the source code has changed, and only optionally).

This is a use-case that I'm skeptical we can support robustly in
ParaView esp. in all modes it operates (client-server etc). I am not
convinced it's that useful besides debugging, however. We can sure add
a "reload" button to manually reimport the module, but that's not
exactly what you want. But I'll stay posted.

> The main issue going forward I can see right now involves passing parameters to Python. Right now I have a C++ method SetStringProperty(name, value) and use a <StringVectorProperty> with 2 elements. Now suppose I want to have a FileName property so that SetStringProperty("filename", value) is called when the FileName property is set to value. Do you know how to achieve this with the existing mechanisms, for example is it possible to have a StringVectorProperty with 2 elements where the first one is hidden and set to a default value?

Are you aware of this post:
https://blog.kitware.com/easy-customization-of-the-paraview-python-programmable-filter-property-panel/