[Paraview-developers] Control paraview interactively using IDLE?

Bob Pepin bobpepin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 17:20:28 EDT 2017

(sorry for out-of-thread message, I only joined the mailing list today and
saw this in the archives)

Hi Amine,
I have had some success controlling paraview from Python using multi-client
mode. Basically you need to start pvserver using the --multi-clients
option, then connect to the same server both with a GUI and a Python
client. You can now create objects from the Python client and have them
appear in the GUI, and there is even limited support for playing around
with Layouts and such. However, I have to say that it was quite easy to
crash paraview when playing around with this.

My original motivation for doing this was to see if I could replace Matlab
with Python plus some plotting software that can zoom, pick points and do
some 3d (interactivity  in the common Python plotting packages is
surprisingly limited). ParaView looks promising but I haven't pursued the
interactive part much since my initial experiments with multi-client mode,
for me it worked well enough just to write data out to hdf5 files and
create little xdmf3 files to go with it.

Hope this helps,
Bob