[Paraview-developers] ParaView for Oculus and OpenVR/Vive

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Tue Apr 25 18:33:13 EDT 2017

Hi all,

>> ... I built PV master with
>>
>> + PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_VRPlugin:BOOL=TRUE
>> + Module_vtkRenderingOpenVR:BOOL=ON
>>
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/paraview/paraview/merge_requests/1492
>>
>> I take it I should build the MR?
>>
> Yes. I believe the VRPlugin is support for VRUI. The MR adds support (and a PV cmake option) for openvr.

Success on x86_64 Ubuntu 16.04.2 (with some hacks, described below for the record)!

Also, at least on my machine, the VTK OpenVR dashboard appears right-side up, but the y location of the pointer appears to be flipped (i.e., aiming at the top of the dashboard highlights the bottom row of buttons; aiming near the bottom of the dashboard highlights the top row of buttons). Maybe some transforms have changed from the release to the beta I'm running?

	David

# Using the SteamVR beta with PV on Linux

1. After installing SteamVR, and opting into the beta I could not start SteamVR from the desktop (it opened a dialog claiming that a download had to complete, but it lies). However, I could start it from the command line with

  ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR/tools/bin/vrmonitor.sh

2. But first (before running vrmonitor, anyway), I had to create symlinks to some vulkan and udev libraries included with SteamVR that were not in the system search path. This is a hack, but it works for now:

  sudo -s # i.e., run the following as root
  cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
  ln -s ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libvulkan.so.1.0.39 .
  ln -s libvulkan.so.1.0.39 libvulkan.so.1.0
  ln -s libvulkan.so.1.0.39 libvulkan.so.1
  ln -s libvulkan.so.1.0.39 libvulkan.so
  ln -s ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.0 .
  ldconfig