[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: strcpy and other bad actors

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 10 12:30:11 EDT 2017

Nice!

From: David E DeMarle [mailto:dave.demarle at kitware.com]
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2017 9:54 AM
To: Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov>
Cc: Boeckel, Ben (External Contacts) <ben.boeckel at kitware.com>; Scott, W Alan <wascott at sandia.gov>; paraview-developers at paraview.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Paraview-developers] strcpy and other bad actors

In related news...
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2675

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Moreland, Kenneth <kmorel at sandia.gov<mailto:kmorel at sandia.gov>> wrote:
If you are worried about malicious code, I would be even more worried about the use of sprintf. Like strcpy there is no check that the target buffer is not overrun, and it is much harder to predict how large of a buffer you will need to begin with. Plus, there are multiple points in the ParaView interface that allow users to pass format descriptors to sprintf from the GUI or a script. This could definitely be a target for malicious code. We could (and probably should) protected these by using snprintf, but in the cases where users pass in their own format descriptors they could do all sorts of weird stuff like read data off the stack.

-Ken