[Paraview-developers] ParaView is hanging Mac when closing

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Tue Apr 4 16:46:20 EDT 2017

Utkarsh,

I have a user that is seeing a strange hang with PV 5.3.0, and his Mac.  He is dealing with a different issue (probably a bad sideset on a large dataset), which is crashing the ParaView server.  At this point, ParaView client dies (not unexpected).  However, ParaView continues to appear running.  If you right click on ParaView on the doc, and you say close, ParaView disappears.  Terminal/ ps -ef does not show ParaView.  But, it remains in the doc, with the little dot below saying it is running.

At this point, my user can't start up another ParaView instance and connect remotely, since the port appears to be tied up.  The only option is to reboot.  But, the mac won't reboot!  It is hanging on the ParaView process that is still coming down.   So, we are having to power cycle the Mac.

I cannot replicate this on my macbook pro, thus am not writing up a bug (yet).    When we tried running ParaView from a terminal window, no warning messages were seen, and ParaView closed correctly.

User's OS is: 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
My OS is: 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

My user has two AMD FirePro D300 graphics cards.

Any thoughts?

Alan

W. Alan Scott
ParaView Support Manager

SAIC
Sandia National Laboratories, MS 0822
Org 9326 - Building 880 A1-K
(505) 284-0932   FAX (505) 284-5619

The most exciting phrase to hear in science
is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."  -- Isaac Asimov