[Paraview-developers] xterm -e ssh for windows and mac

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Sep 21 21:40:12 EDT 2016

Connect->Fetch to download the "windows to *@anl" or "windows to *@ornl"
configs to see how I set it up there. You'll find that::

xterm -hold -e ssh -R s_port:localhost:c_port user at host
/remote/machines/path/to/launch.sh

is replaced with

/C start cmd.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\PuTTY\plink.exe"  -ssh host -R
s_port:localhost:c_port -l user /remote/machines/path/to/launch.sh

start is more or less like "&" on linux
cmd.exe is like xterm
plink is like ssh

Andy recently slipped in kerberos without any difficulty so I know that can
work too.

As I recall on mac and linux the terminal sticks around until you exit the
paraview client and if you kill it beforehand the connection dies. On
windows the terminal sticks around even after paraview client dies so you
have to manually kill it.

My preference is to work out the licensing issues and package libssh within
ParaView and replace the terminal call with a suitably secure qt dialog.
Then it would all be standalone.