[Paraview-developers] kudos for ParaView

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 25 16:40:46 EDT 2016

All,
I just had a project manager for an FE code in my office.  He has previously complained (gently and graciously) about the confusing nature of ParaView.  He says he hears this from all of the DoE and also DoD labs.  He said that in many ways, VisIt is a better tool than ParaView.  So, we went through his points one by one.  Mainly, his issues have to do with the complexity and poor documentation of ParaView.  I showed him the new Help menu (incredibly improved by Cory in 5.1.0), the training resources from Ken and Sandia, the User's Guide (thanks to Utkarsh and many others), the trace recorder, and the new getting started guide (once again, new in 5.1.0, and complements to Cory).  He basically folded up his sheet of paper, said "wow".  Before going out the door, he asked about CTH.  I showed him the extractCTHParts filter and Material Interface Filter.  More wows.  Finally, he mentioned Catalyst, and I showed him the CoProcessing state writer.  Once again, very complementary.  He then went off to tell his folks what he had seen

My action items - none.  User - left impressed.  We did well.

Good job everyone.

Alan