[Paraview-developers] Paraview server in MultiGPU environment

Dan Lipsa dan.lipsa at kitware.com
Tue Nov 15 10:22:50 EST 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Khayam Gondal <khayam.gondal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
> I have two NVIDIA K40m GPUs installed on server (48 CPU cores). I have
> compiled and installed Paraview server with MPI support and using NVIDIA
> Drivers.
>
> I use following command to start pvserver
>
> mpirun -bynode -np 24 bin/pvserver --disable-xdisplay-test
> --egl-device-index=1 : -np 24 bin/pvserver --disable-xdisplay-test
> --egl-device-index=0

I think the connection information reported is only for node 0.
You can try changing the source code vtkEGLRenderWindow::SetDeviceAsDisplay
and printing the device index from there. You should get a printout with
the device index for every node.

Maybe we should have a way to report the opengl info for evey node,
including the device index.

> But I don't now how to check that pvserver is actually using *both *of
> the GPUs not just one.. Actually If I change the --egl-device-index value
> to a random number like 8 or 9, server still starts up and client got
> connected to it.

This is because if the device index is bigger than the number of devices it
uses device 0.

Dan