[Paraview-developers] ParaViewDetermineVersion: when is _VERSION_IS_RELEASE FALSE ?

Bastien Jacquet bastien.jacquet at kitware.com
Wed Nov 2 11:27:45 EDT 2016

Hello Folks,

It seems to me that PARAVIEW_VERSION_IS_RELEASE is always set to TRUE when
using git describe output.
This is due to the following test relying on VERSION_EQUAL instead of
STR_EQUAL:
CMake/ParaViewDetermineVersion.cmake:83
    if("${major}.${minor}.${patch}" VERSION_EQUAL "${full}")

It seems that CMake VERSION_EQUAL test has been designed to only compare
the dot-separated digits ... which makes it always true for our "X.Y.Z-RCW"
scheme.
Only a "X.Y.Z.W" scheme would make it work as expected.

Is there anything I missed?
If not, I'll do a merge request to replace the VERSION_EQUAL with STR_EQUAL.

Best,

Bastien Jacquet, PhD <https://www.linkedin.com/in/bastienjacquet>
Technical Leader - Computer Vision Team
Kitware SAS <http://www.kitware.eu>
26 rue Louis Guérin - 69100 Villeurbanne - France
F: +33 (0)4.37.45.04.15