[Paraview-developers] Parallel mesh reading

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Tue Aug 23 09:58:10 EDT 2016

The difficulty in parallel with unstructured grids is that it's tough to
determine which cells need which points so for unstructured grids that are
stored in a single file, all points often time are either read in on
process 0 and broadcast out or each process reads in all points. Neither of
these methods scale well. The advantage of multiple files here is that in
each file the points are just the ones that are needed by the cells in that
file. You could do a similar thing with blocks of points and cells in a
single file. The main point here is that you need to think about an
algorithm that has each process read in only (or nearly only) the points it
needs in order to read in the cells in gets assigned. Also, consider
whether or not you want your reader to be able to read in ghost cells as
well. It's not a requirement for parallel readers but certain filter work
better with ghost cells.