[Paraview-developers] establish client connection to pvserver from C++

Peter Vogt vogtpeter5 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:34:58 EDT 2016

Hello,
we aim at implementing an image processing application that interpretes the
rendered images from a remote parallel visualization of large datasets.

For this purpose we need to connect to a running pvserver, send a few
commands to set up the visualization pipeline, and receive a sequence of
rendered images. If possible, we would use the core classes without a
necessity to include the Qt framework.

I am currently stuck with the first step, how to connect to a remote
pvserver.
My first attempt failed:
int main(){
  vtkSMSessionClient *session=vtkSMSessionClient::New();
  session->Connect("cs://<remote.host>");
}

These lines segfault as follows:
  Warning: vtkPVServerInformation (0x239ff50): ProcessModule is not
available.
  Warning: vtkPVSessionBase (0x239deb0): No vtkMultiProcessController for
Session. The session won't work correctly.
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

May I ask, if somebody can send me a working C++ code snippet or explain in
words, how to
1. connect a client to a remote pvserver
2. let the client create a sphere or any other data source on the server
3. receive a rendered image from the server (I might be able to figure this
out myself if I have a solution for steps 1. and 2.)

Thank you
Peter