[Paraview-developers] Backface Styling bug?

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Sep 11 09:02:30 EDT 2015

Unfortunately this is a real issue and the fix is sort of ugly/painful
unless I am missing something. The issue is that the new backend converts
quads/polygons into triangles as quads and polygons are deprecated in later
versions of OpenGL. Plus triangles are fast as they each have just 3 verts
and can be counted on to have three verts etc. :-) But when you render
wireframe you do not want to use the same IBO because if your original data
was a quad, showing triangle wireframes would be misleading. So we build a
different IBO that constructs the boundary edges as lines.  Lines do not
get front/back culled by OpenGL. The reason we do not use triangle_fans is
that without the primitive restart index support (not available in OpenGL
2.1 or ES 2.0/3.0/3.1) you (or the driver) have to essentially make a draw
call per primitive which is slow. Plus glPolygonMode is not in OpenGL ES so
it would not work on iOS/Android anyhow. So ... edge visibility or
wireframe when combined with front/back culling is not working and off the
top of my head I cannot think of a universal solution other than performing
the culling on the CPU and sending a new IBO up every frame, yuck.

Ken

Ken Martin PhD

Chairman & CFO

Kitware Inc.

28 Corporate Drive

Clifton Park NY 12065

ken.martin at kitware.com

919 869-8871 (w)

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.