[Paraview-developers] CGNS reader bug

Jim.Eliot at awe.co.uk Jim.Eliot at awe.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 05:31:38 EDT 2015

Good morning,

I have run into a bug with the CGNS reader in ParaView which appeared when I moved from ParaView version 4.3.1 to 4.4.0. When I try to open a CGNS file that was created with a CGNS library version that is higher than that used by ParaView (3.1.3) it fails, and if it is an hdf5-based CGNS file, it produces a segmentation fault.

I think that this might be the same problem as bug 0015704, so I updated that bug with my details. I thought that maybe I should report it here also.

I did some investigating and it seems that problem is caused by some incorrect version number checks in vtkCGNSReader.cxx.  For hdf5-based CGNS files, the segfault occurs in vtkMPASReader::CanReadFile due to a strcpy on an invalid pointer.

I have created a fix for the CGNS version checks and have attached a git diff of vtkCGNSReader.cxx to this email. This fixes the CGNS reader, and also seems to prevent the segfault in vtkMPASReader::CanReadFile as this code is no longer reached.

Regards,
Jim

Jim Eliot
High Performance Computing Group
AWE, Aldermaston, Reading, RG7 4PR

____________________________

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is
commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s)
or
if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or
use of this communication or the information in it is strictly
prohibited. Please notify us immediately by email at
admin.internet(at)awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from
your computer. While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc
does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not
detected.

AWE Plc
Registered in England and Wales
Registration No 02763902