[Paraview-developers] Plugin using parallel HDF5

houssen houssen at ipgp.fr
Fri Oct 2 08:45:08 EDT 2015

Thanks for the tip ! Afterwards, this looked almost obvious to me !

I have tried to compile ParaView with a parallel HDF5 (+ zlib for
compression) using VTK_USE_SYSTEM_HDF5 (I also had to add
VTK_USE_SYSTEM_ZLIB).
I ended up with this kind of link errors :
   [ 22%] Building CXX object
VTK/IO/AMR/CMakeFiles/vtkIOAMR.dir/vtkAMRFlashReaderInternal.cxx.o
   Linking CXX shared library ../../../lib/libvtkIOAMR-pv4.4.so
   CMakeFiles/vtkIOAMR.dir/vtkAMREnzoParticlesReader.cxx.o: in function
« MPI::Intracomm::Intracomm() »:
   /usr/lib/openmpi/include/openmpi/ompi/mpi/cxx/intracomm.h:25:
undefined symbol « MPI::Comm::Comm() »
I tried to add PARAVIEW_USE_MPI but unfortunately it does not help !

Say I give up building ParaView on top of "my" parallel HDF5 : is there
a way to use the (serial) HDF5 "of (serial) ParaView" from inside a
writer ? If yes how ? (modify the writer CMakeLists.txt ?)

Franck

Note : I have a project where we need parallel HDF5. For this same
project I would like to have a dedicated writer (the writer can handle
serial or parallel HDF5 - not so important). So I have to specify 2 HDF5
(serial and parallel) for the same project : this looked messy to me...
That why I started to (try to) use parallel HDF5 from my ParaView writer
(for convenience mostly).