[Paraview-developers] ParaView 5.0, Mesa 11.0.4, giving OGL version as 3.0

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Nov 12 10:23:05 EST 2015

It is not a bug. We _require_ 3.2 when using the OpenGL2 rendering code and
cannot function with a 3.0 context. Even though Mesa reports that it
supports 3.0, it actually supports all of the 3.2 features that we need. So
therefore, forcing Mesa to report 3.2 support is the best way to go.
Otherwise, it would not be possible for us to create an OpenGL 3.2 context
at runtime.

Also, note that your statement of "Mesa 11.0.4 only returns version 3.0 by
default" is not entirely accurate. Mesa repots support for OpenGL 3.0 with
the driver that you are building with, which is gallium-llvmpipe I am
guessing. Other Mesa drivers support OpenGL 3.2 within 11.0.4, even
earlier. These are hardware enabled drivers commonly used on Linux
distributions. Unfortunately, gallium-llvmpipe is your only option
currently for pure software rendering including OSMesa.

Best,
-berk