[Paraview-developers] Fwd: How to plug into paraview his own writer ?

houssen houssen at ipgp.fr
Sat Jun 13 10:54:28 EDT 2015

I followed 2 writer examples (cpp, hpp) : Xdmf writer and OpenFOAM
writer. Complexity is high, still difficult to extract basic needs out
of them.

Question 1 : how to write myWriter.xml ?

1.1. seems I must set <InputProperty command="SetInputConnection"
name="Input"> in myWriter.xml. Does this means I will also have to
implement myWriter::SetInputConnection ?

1.2. seems I must set <StringVectorProperty name="FileName"
command="SetFileName"> in myWriter.xml. Does this means I will also have
to implement myWriter::SetFileName ?

I am correct ?

Question 2 : how to implement a vtk object ? From here
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Developers/vtkObject, it seems that

2.1. in myWriter.cpp, I need to have :
#include "vtkObjectFactory.h" // vtkStandardNewMacro
vtkStandardNewMacro ( myWriter ); // use vtkStandardNewMacro : 1 only
allowed constructor, omit the copy constructor and operator=
+ suppress copy constructor and operator=

2.2 in myWriter.hpp, I need to derive from a vtkObject this way (like
XdmfWriter.cpp does) :
class myWriter : public vtkDataObjectAlgorithm {
   public:
     static myWriter * New (); // Needed to be plugged into paraview
     vtkTypeMacro ( myWriter, vtkDataObjectAlgorithm ); // Needed to be
plugged into paraview
+ suppress copy constructor and operator=

Am I correct ?

Question 3 : in myWriter.cpp, on which method I am supposed to be
called back (to get focus back) when I click the "save data" button ?
Here, how can I get data to be saved (data that I can see in paraview
viewer before to click the save button - I guess this data will be a
vtk*).

Finally, myWriter.xml seems OK. myWriter.*pp compile OK. Paraview finds
myWriter.xml at run time (exporting PV_PLUGIN_PATH) and loads
libmywriter.so without problem. I see the writer in the "save data" GUI
(drop down list with different save formats). I save with myWriter, I
get a (basic) GUI with file name only (no extra parameter) : I crash
when I click "OK, save" with this error message :
ERROR: In
/.../ParaView-v4.3.1-source/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxy.cxx,
line 307
vtkSIWriterProxy (0x30143d0): Failed to create myWriter. Aborting for
debugging purposes.

vtkSIWriterProxy does this at line 303 :
vtkObjectBase* obj = this->Interpreter->NewInstance(className);
but obj is NULL.

I get obj is NULL because I missed something in myWriter implementation
: what did I miss ?

Can somebody help ? Or even get me some clue ?

FH