[Paraview-developers] CMake Version

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Jan 9 10:40:23 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Dan Lipsa <dan.lipsa at kitware.com> wrote:

> Looking at the code, hdf5 files that require higher version of cmake have
> conflict markers in them, so they are obviously not used.
> I will fix the conflict markers.
>
>> What is the correct cmake version to be using to build ParaView?  I am
>> currently using 2.8.10, trying to complile hdf5-1.8.13, and it is asking for
>> at least 2.8.10.2.  May I upgrade to cmake 3.0?
>
> Indeed, upgrading cmake is usually beneficial (unless is a version not
> released). I use 3.1

As VTK is a basis for a number of codes, and is used across quite a
few distros, we tend to be a little more conservative on bumping
requirements. I would ask if HDF5 really needs a newer version, or did
they just bump it to what they had installed at the time?

If there isn't a compelling reason I think we should remain
conservative, and it sounds like there is not in this case (especially
for a dependency that is pretty optional for many of our users). You
can generally always use the latest CMake if you choose, but making
that the minimum makes it harder for others to compile and use our
code (often using the packaged CMake).

Marcus